Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Gustav Klimt

Gustav Klimt, 1862–1918, Austrian painter.

"Whoever wants to know something about me must observe my paintings carefully and try to see in them what I am." - Gustav Klimt

Gustav Klimt explored the themes of beauty, eroticism, life and death through his subjects, embellishing them with richly patterned surfaces. Although he is best known for his paintings, however he also produced thousands of drawings. Public commissions were the basis of his early success, but he later broke with traditional Viennese art society and formed the Vienna Secession, promoting the advancement and exposure of modern art in Austria. Gustav Klimt's "The Kiss" is one of the best known and loved decorative painting in the history of art. It is the golden yellowish one below. I use to have a copy up on my wall.


Gustav Klimt's Bio and works : http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/klimt/

No comments:

Post a Comment